WEDDING DIARIES : STATIONARY AND INVITES


"Why are you stressing out so much over the invites?" Tom asks

For a moment I consider the question. Why does the prospect of sending out a little care stress me out so much?

For me, the invite is the first touch point between you and your guests. It's the thing that gives the briefest of glimpses into the style and concept of the day and what your guests can expect from your wedding. To me that's a lot of pressure!

I've known friends that have had a rustic teepee wedding and had some beautiful handmade invites. I've been to weddings where the invites have been very traditional and simple. They all seem to invoke a sense of what's to come.


Four our invites, I wanted something classy and elegant but also with a nod to the botanical feel of the venue and the earthy feel of the day. I originally did the whole shebang of tootling off to various wedding fairs and pouring over the lovely invites on offer from sellers. However at £2-3 a pop with over 100 guests that seemed like a huge waste of money. Money better spent in other areas.

I've always been artistic and so I waited for a voucher code to come up on Vistaprint (keep an eye out they always have offers on!) and designed them up myself. I found it extremely easy as there is a whole section for invites, RSVP's and save the dates.

I went with a botanical design with rounded corners and added some geometric lines in rose gold as a nod to our cake. I then chose a lovely scripted font.


Our venue offers our guests a choice of food for the day so we had to include the menu. Instead of increasing cost and wasting paper we added the menu onto the back of the invite for a small fee.

I think in total the stationary cost £100 for the invites, menus, save the dates, evening invites, monogrammed stickers and I even designed a small business card sized insert asking people to not give us wedding gifts (after all we've lived together five years, we really don't need any more plates!). They even came with free envelopes.

I was thrilled when they arrived. The only issue now is getting them back in from people!

No comments